Respect for your privacy is our priority

The cookie is a small information file stored in your browser each time you visit our web page.

Cookies are useful because they record the history of your activity on our web page. Thus, when you return to the page, it identifies you and configures its content based on your browsing habits, your identity and your preferences.

You may accept cookies or refuse, block or delete cookies, at your convenience. To do this, you can choose from one of the options available on this window or even and if necessary, by configuring your browser.

If you refuse cookies, we can not guarantee the proper functioning of the various features of our web page.

For more information, please read the COOKIES INFORMATION section on our web page.


Global Imports of Tomato Products, Updated May 17, 2023

22/05/2023 - François-Xavier Branthôme
The trend (some marginal data still missing) for quantities of tomato paste imported by the Top20 importing countries (*) over the past twelve months (close to 1.70 million mT, March 2022 – February 2023) brought the total to approximately 164,000 mT (11%) higher than in the previous corresponding period (1.54 million mT), and 308,000 mT (22%) higher than the average of the same periods of the three previous marketing years (1.39 million mT).
Comparison of monthly imports over past two years
Along with its monthly summaries of the prices for pastes and canned tomatoes and of the performances of the world’s main tomato paste exporting countries (see linked articles below), Tomato News is presenting updated figures of the supply volumes shipped each month by the main consumer markets for tomato products.
For tomato paste, alongside the combined figures for the Top20 importing countries, this article presents data for France, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia and the United Kingdom; canned tomato imports for Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands and the UK; and finally sauces & ketchup imports for Canada, France, Germany and the United Kingdom. This provides a regular and representative overview of the situation and trends of global demand.
Tomato Paste (HS codes 200290)
Imports of pastes to the twenty most dependent countries (whose domestic consumption depends solely on external supplies): for greater clarity, the histograms present as an additional reference the curve (blue dotted lines) of the average activity of the same months of the three previous marketing years.
(*) TOP20: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cote d'Ivoire, France, Germany, Japan, Kazakhstan, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom (list revised in October 2022)
The following seven selected countries accounted for 42% of the sector’s total imports on average over the last five years, with the remaining 58% distributed over approximately 100 countries.
Canned Tomatoes (HS codes 200210)
The seven countries presented accounted for 65% of the sector’s total imports on average over the last five years, with the remaining 35% distributed over approximately 100 countries. 
Tomato Sauces (HS codes 210320)
These 4 countries represented 43% of the sector's overall imports on average over the last five years, the other 57% being distributed among approximately 106 countries. Over this period, all imported more than 130,000 mT annually, with the next country (Mexico; #5) importing less than 60,000 mT.
(*) The list of the 20 largest importing countries has been updated (October 2022) according to the activities recorded in the past three marketing years. Russia is no longer presented, as is Costa Rica; results from Saudi Arabia and Cote d’Ivoire are now included. A new revision of the TOP20 list will be carried out as soon as necessary.
This information is sourced from trade statistics provided by the various national customs services of the countries concerned (all of which are regularly audited for reliability by information-collecting services at a worldwide level), as well as from other official or professional sources. Countries are listed in alphabetical order.
This monthly summary can evolve, and should evolve. So do not hesitate to contact the Tomato News team in order to obtain specific results or suggest extending the list to other countries where markets are significant.
Source: Trade Data Monitor LLC, professional sources
Related companies

Trade Data Monitor

Services (Training, Consultancy, Transport, etc.…) See details
Related articles

Tomato Paste Prices, May 2023

12/05/2023 See details

Prices of Canned Tomatoes, May 2023

04/05/2023 See details

Global Exports of Tomato Paste, Updated April 27, 2023

27/04/2023 See details

Global Imports of Tomato Products, Updated April 20, 2023

20/04/2023 See details

TOP10: Strong increase in the paste trade in 2022

05/04/2023 See details

2021/2022 Exports of Tomato Paste - the TOP10

22/02/2023 See details

World trade 2021/2022 (May-April): Covid continues to have an impact

07/11/2022 See details

World paste trade in 2021/2022

13/10/2022 See details

TOP20 imports: increased dependence on foreign supplies

30/09/2022 See details





Supporting partners
Featured company
Most popular news
Featured event
The 2023 Tomato News Conference
Our supporting partners