Respect for your privacy is our priority

The cookie is a small information file stored in your browser each time you visit our web page.

Cookies are useful because they record the history of your activity on our web page. Thus, when you return to the page, it identifies you and configures its content based on your browsing habits, your identity and your preferences.

You may accept cookies or refuse, block or delete cookies, at your convenience. To do this, you can choose from one of the options available on this window or even and if necessary, by configuring your browser.

If you refuse cookies, we can not guarantee the proper functioning of the various features of our web page.

For more information, please read the COOKIES INFORMATION section on our web page.


News

California: stable processing capacity in 2022

04/08/2022 - Press release , François-Xavier Branthôme - 2022 Season - Lire en français
For the third year in a row, after Olam's plants ceased operations in 2020, California's industrial tomato processing capacity in 2022 will be around 140,000 mT per day, or about 12.7 million mT (14 million sT) for a season lasting over three months.
According to the ranking of the world's 50 largest tomato processing companies, MorningStar is in first place, ahead of Ingomar and JG Boswell.
 

Processing capacity is mostly held by "marketers", which are companies that produce tomato pastes mainly for sale to secondary users. In 2022, their share will represent nearly 88% of California's industrial processing base, with the remaining 12% held by "remanufacturers", companies whose production is intended to be reused internally.
Over the past twenty years, the weight of marketers in California's processing sector has grown significantly, from less than 73% to nearly 88% of total processing capacity. At the same time, the share of remanufacturers has fallen from over 27% to around 12%.

The landscape of California's tomato processing industry is also organized depending on the identity of company owners. Companies producing paste for their own use (remanufacturers), which were dominant players in the sector thirty years ago, have gradually given way to those whose production is intended for sale, whether they are private (51% of total capacity in 2022) or owned by the tomato growers themselves (37%).

Between 2015/2016 and 2021/2022, the Californian tomato industry faced significant challenges that created severe inventory stress and motivated the capacity reductions observed in recent years. With a much healthier looking situation in 2022 (see our articles on inventories at the end of this report ), the outlook for operations in 2022 (10.6 million mT) should result in an increase of the utilization rate of industrial capacity to around 74%, compared with an average rate of just 61% over the last five years.

Some complementary data
See also: https://www.morningstarco.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Statistics-Brochure-2022.pdf

Details of California's paste production capacity in 2022

Distribution and evolution of California's paste production capacity since 2006. 

Sources: Morning-Star-Statistics-Brochure-2022
Related companies

The Morning Star Packing Company

Tomato processor See details
Related articles

U.S. tomato products inventory as of June 1, 2022

30/06/2022 See details

U.S. Processed Tomato Inventories as of March 1, 2022 (comment)

19/04/2022 See details

U.S. Processed Tomato Stocks-on-Hand Report for December 1, 2021 (comment)

21/01/2022 See details

California: notable drop in industrial capacity in 2020

27/05/2020 See details

California: processing capacity is up

14/12/2018 See details
Back

________________________________________

Editor : TOMATO NEWS SAS -  MAISON DE L'AGRICULTURE - TSA 48449 - 84912 AVIGNON Cedex 9 - FRANCE
contact@tomatonews.com
www.tomatonews.com

 

 

Supporting partners
Featured company
Koeln Parma Exhibitions Srl
Most popular news
Featured event
The 2022 Tomato News Conference
Our supporting partners