- Madeleine Royère-Koonings
In September 2022, we published the following articles:
- California: the 2022 forecast has been revised at 9.525 million mT, 10% below the May forecast.
- WPTC Crop Update as of 1st September 2022.
- California Crop Situation as of 3 September 2022.
- Drought conditions are affecting 47% of the EU territory, as well as California, where it is the worst in at least 1,200 years, and China with severe heat waves.
- Global Imports of Tomato Products, updated September 2022.
- In the Philippines, the Department of Agriculture has agreed to revive a tomato processing plant in Ilocos Norte.
- As many African countries set up tomato processing plants, paste imports continue to decline.
- MorningStar is expecting the performance of October to be the most crucial factor to the performance on the 2022 season, as California has a lot of tonnage forecasted in October.
- California Crop Situation as of 10 September 2022.
- In Spain, the Board of Directors of Las Marismas de Lebrija SCA has appointed a new general manager, Mr Alberto Jurado, who will work on boosting the growth of the cooperative and professionalizing its services and procedures.
- Paste Prices, September 2022: USA, Spain, Portugal, Italy, China, Chile.
- 2022 season: Yannik Schultka (Henry Lamotte Food) expects shortage of goods in the agro-industry, and sees some signs of normalization for transport.
- Freight: while Trans-Pacific prices are receding, Trans-Atlantic rates are still rising, and overall rates are much higher that they were pre-Covid.
- WPTC Crop Update as of 16 September 2022.
- California Crop Situation as of 17 September 2022.
- Red Gold expands its distribution center in Alexandria, with a technology advanced racking system that helps reduce truck traffic.
- Global Exports of Tomato Paste, updated September 21 2022.
- The rain has hit in most areas of California, affecting further the current forecast.
- Cibus Tec Forum 2022 will take place on October 25/26, and will devote one day to the tomato processing industry, with Il Filo Rosso del Pomodoro, organized by ANICAV, in the morning, and the Tomato News Conference in the afternoon.
- Industry associations in the agri-food sector are asking the European Community to take action, following the rapidly rising input costs, as well of extreme weather events, in order to help struggling businesses to maintain their operations.
- California Crop Situation as of 24 September 2022.
- JBT Corporation launched the SuperStatic Retort sterilizer, which offers reduced process times and energy consumption.
- Prices of Canned Tomatoes, September 2022: Italy, Spain, USA, Greece, Portugal.
- The domestic availability of tinplate, and therefore the food supply in the U.S. is at risk, mainly due to a negative impact of the Trump's Administration's section 232 Tariffs and Quotas, but also because of the closure of the Steel's Pittsburg plant schedule for the end of 2023.
- Imports of the top 20 paste importing countries have increased significantly those last years, resulting in an increased dependence on foreign supplies.
You can find the individual articles in the NEWS list and/or search by keyword, date etc.