- François-Xavier Branthôme
- Architecture of Trade
Comparison of monthly imports over past two years
The trend for quantities of tomato paste imported by the Top 20 importing countries (*) over the past twelve months (August 2022 – July 2023, below 1.66 million tonnes) brought the total to approximately 128,000 tonnes (8%) higher than in the previous corresponding period (1.53 million t), and 236,000 t (17%) higher than the average of the same periods of the three previous marketing years (1.422 million t).
Along with its monthly summaries of the prices for pastes and canned tomatoes and of the performances of the world’s main tomato paste exporting countries (see linked articles below), Tomato News is presenting updated figures of the supply volumes shipped each month by the main consumer markets for tomato products.
For tomato paste, alongside the combined figures for the Top20 importing countries, this article presents data for France, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia and the United Kingdom; canned tomato imports for Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands and the UK; and finally sauces & ketchup imports for Canada, France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the US. This provides a regular and representative overview of the situation and trends of global demand.
Tomato Paste (HS codes 200290)
Imports of pastes to the twenty most dependent countries (whose domestic consumption depends solely on external supplies): for greater clarity, the histograms present as an additional reference the curve (blue dotted lines) of the average activity of the same months of the three previous marketing years.
(*) TOP20: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cote d'Ivoire, France, Germany, Japan, Kazakhstan, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom (list revised in October 2022)
The following seven selected countries accounted for 42% of the sector’s total imports on average over the last five years, with the remaining 58% distributed over approximately 100 countries.
Canned Tomatoes (HS codes 200210)
The seven countries presented accounted for 65% of the sector’s total imports on average over the last five years, with the remaining 35% distributed over approximately 100 countries.
Tomato Sauces (HS codes 210320)
These 5 countries represented almost 47% of the sector's overall imports on average over the last five years, the other 53% being distributed among approximately 105 countries. Over this period, first four imported more than 135,000 mT annually, with the next country (USA; #5) importing less than 50,000 mT.
(*) The list of the 20 largest importing countries has been updated (October 2022) according to the activities recorded in the past three marketing years. A new revision of the TOP20 list will be carried out as soon as necessary.
This information is sourced from trade statistics provided by the various national customs services of the countries concerned (all of which are regularly audited for reliability by information-collecting services at a worldwide level), as well as from other official or professional sources. Countries are listed in alphabetical order.
This monthly summary can evolve, and should evolve. So do not hesitate to contact the Tomato News team in order to obtain specific results or suggest extending the list to other countries where markets are significant.
Source: Trade Data Monitor LLC, professional sources