- François-Xavier Branthôme
- Architecture of Trade
Comparison of monthly exports of tomato paste (HS code 200290) over past two years, comparison with the previous three marketing years
In August 2021, for the fifth consecutive month, world exports of tomato paste were lower (-0.2%, less than 5,600 mT) than in the previous twelve month period. Industry professionals point out that this slowdown before the start of the processing season could be linked to reduced availability of products in stock.
With a total quantity close to 3.123 million metric tonnes of tomato paste exported over the period September 2020-August 2021, the twelve-month activity level of TOP10 exporting countries was 22,800 mT higher (+0.7%) compared to the same period of the three previous years.
The data available for the period September 2020-August 2021 show that despite a measured slowdown, global trade activity for the time being maintains significantly higher levels than in previous years.
The ten countries presented accounted for 94% of the sector’s total exports on average over the last five years, with the remaining 6% distributed over approximately 80 countries.
For each of the ten countries (China, Italy, Spain, USA, Portugal, Chile, Turkey, Ukraine, Greece, Netherlands (and Iran)) that play a significant role in international trade, Tomato News presents a comparison of the monthly performances for exports of tomato paste over past two years. For greater clarity, the histograms now present as an additional reference the curve (blue dotted lines) of the average activity of the same months of the three previous marketing years.
This situation makes it possible to follow the evolution of national export dynamics and to compare recent performances with those of equivalent periods of the previous year. These elements of international trade also give a better understanding of the quantities on which the average values presented in our articles on tomato paste prices were constructed.
In the case of the Netherlands, it is important to note that this country does not have an agricultural production of processing tomatoes or an industrial first transformation industry, but only companies producing second-step tomato products (type sauces) from imported tomato paste. Tomato pastes imported into the Netherlands are mainly of Italian, Spanish or US origin. The quantities mentioned here correspond to re-exports.
Sources: Trade Data Monitor LLC, professional sources