- Press release
The book "Lycopene and Tomatoes in Human Nutrition and Health" is now available from CRC Press
Lycopene is a potent antioxidant carotenoid found in fruits and vegetables; particularly high amounts exist in red tomatoes. It is not an essential nutrient for humans, but can be a potential therapeutic agent for preventing several human diseases. Since the publication of the previous book on lycopene, extensive advances have been made with respect to the role of lycopene and tomatoes in human health. Whereas the initial focus of research was on cancer, Lycopene and Tomatoes in Human Nutrition and Health represents the next major step in documenting advances in understanding the chemistry, bioavailability, metabolism; mechanisms of action of lycopene; and its role in preventing human diseases other than cancer as discussed in the various chapters of the book.
The book includes chapters that discuss genetic polymorphisms; and lycopene’s relationship to cardiovascular diseases, cardiometabolic diseases, bone health, and other health disorders including male infertility, skin diseases, respiratory disorders and neurodegenerative diseases. The book includes information addressing regulatory aspects of natural health products and, in particular lycopene, presenting industrial insights. The contents of the book are selected carefully to provide the readers with the most current information available on lycopene and tomato bioactives.
- Contains research on lycopene and tomatoes in human nutrition, and health
- Summarizes the role of lycopene in the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases
- Written for health professionals, research scientists, regulatory agencies; food and related nutritional supplement, pharmaceutical, and those involved with natural healthcare products
- Aids in the understanding of the roles that lycopene and tomatoes play in the prevention of not only cancer, but also other human health disorders
- Provides recommended intake levels for maintaining ideal health and future directions in lycopene research
- Presents information on tomato bioactives relevant for human health and future research
The book is edited by Ms. Gwen Young, President of the Tomato Foundation and Chair of the Tomato and Health Commission at the World Processing Tomato Council, and Dr. A. Venketeshwer Rao & Dr. Leticia G. Rao.
Tomato News readers can get a special 20% discount and free shipping by ordering the book directly from the publisher using the promotional code FLR40 at www.crcpress.com/9781466575370