- Madeleine Royère-Koonings
In March 2021, we published the following articles:
- Steel prices have dramatically increased recently.
- In France, the large chain retail stores are asked by the processing tomato growers organizations to act responsibly in the negotiations, so that the production sector can return to an economically viable state.
- Global imports of Tomato Products, updated 2 March 2021.
- Massimo Passanti (Ravenna) will lead the Federazione Nazionale Pomodoro da Industria.
- In Greece, Minerva SA is taking over the processed tomato products sector from Elais-Unilever, and the tomato-processing factory in Gastouni.
- The CQLP brand (C'est Qui Le Patron), the "consumer's brand", launched in France in 2016, is now arriving in Italy as Chi è il padrone?! and is also marketed in other European countries).
- Scientists from the John Ines Centre produced a tomato enriched in L-DOPA, which is used to produce a Parkinson's disease drug. This could therefore mean a cheaper way to produce the drug.
- Tomato News hosted a Tomato Foundation Webinar on Tomato Products, Blood Health and Labelling, a complete update on the ample study carried out at SSICA. The webinar was coordinated by Gwen Young and presented by Dr. Luca Sandei.
- In Dominican Republic, growers started harvesting, and the production target represents a 25% increase compared to last year's results.
- Argentina might suffer from a slight drop in production this year, due to persistent rains and hail in February, and in spite of increasing the dedicated surfaces.
- In Italy, the Megamark supermarket chain publicly opposes illegal employment and the Anicav has taken specific action against it, such as joining as a partner of the Fi.Le. – Filiera Legale project.
- Paste Prices, March 2021: USA, Spain, Portugal, Italy, China, Chile.
- TOP50 tomato processing companies worldwide in 2020
- Global Exports of Tomato Paste, updated 15 March 2021.
- FBR ELPO launched a new aseptic filling machine, the Mod. Mustang, with double head and filling capacity up to 1.400 bags per hour.
- In Spain, the Las Marismas de Lebrija cooperative's next harvest is put in jeopardy by the increasing cost of carbon dioxide emissions, now amounting to 400K euros.
- La Doria Group's results improved significantly in 2020, and were far ahead of expectations.
- In the U.S., growers and processors have to be rigorous in proportioning their 2021 pack according to customer needs.
- U.S. Processed Tomato Stocks-on-Hand Report for 1 March 2021
- Conserve Italia has set 2 goals: becoming more local by assembling 50% of the crop within a few dozen kilometers of the Apulia plant and developing mechanization of harvesting operations.
- CTGA announced it has reached the 2021 price agreement with all California processors at USD 84.50 per ton.
- Spanish exports show a growth in all sectors and particularly in concentrated purées with an 8% growth over the past ten years.
- Italian foreign trade is performing well and Conserve Italia is currently the best-selling Italian brand in the UK.
- Agdia launched a ToBRFV ImmunoStrip, for use in the lab or in the field, and with results visualized within 30 minutes.
- US inventories of tomato products as of 1 March 2021 were down 15%, with surplus figures still negative
You can find the individual articles in the NEWS list and/or search by keyword, date etc.