- Madeleine Royère-Koonings
In June 2019, we published the following articles:
- Italian, Californian and Chinese Tomato Paste Prices, as of 31 May 2019
- Call for papers for the 16th ISHS Symposium on the processing tomato, which will be held in San Juan, Argentina, on 15-19 March 2020.
- In Australia, Coca-Cola Amatil sold SPC Ardmona's Shepparton cannery to a Melbourne-based company, Shepparton Partners Collective.
- In Ukraine, Dragon Capital sold Chumak to Delta Wilmar.
- The European Commission provided a reply to the concerns that had been raised regarding the increase of shipments of Ukrainian tomato paste in European countries.
- California reported that they contracted for 12.1 million short tons / 10.98 million metric tonnes of processing tomatoes for 2019.
- Tomates del Sur, part of the Sugal group since 2010, has grown its processing capacity six-fold.
- Northern Italy experienced very bad weather, with lots of rain and cold temperatures at the end of May and early June.
- The ANICAV went to Asia to promote Italian processing tomatoes, in the context of the "EU Red Gold Asia" project.
- California crop situation as of 31 May 2019
- In Chile, exports recorded a slow-down in 2018, but the early months of 2019 show signs of recovery.
- LIFE Project BIOCOPAC plus (Italy) was one of the finalists of the LIFE Awards 2019, in the environment category, with a bio-lacquer made from cutin found in waste tomato skins.
- A price agreement was signed in Central-Southern Italy.
- Crop estimates: Martin Stilwell presented the particularities of the 2019 season during the Tomato News conference.
- In Italy, ANICAV and the POs reached an agreement, with an average reference price at 95 Euros /mT for round tomatoes and 105 Euros / mT for oblong tomatoes.
- A potentially record-breaking heatwave is expected to reach most of Europe this week, climbing up to 40°C in the hottest areas.
- In Italy, Casalasco conducted an experiment against red spider mites, using drones to launch Phytoseiidae mites.
- The region of San Juan, in Argentina, increases its in tomato production and confirms its leadership.
- In Zimbabwe, the new tomato business of Schweppes Zimbabwe Limited is facing a difficult competition with imported Chinese products.
- In Northern Italy, a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the IO Pomodoro Nord Italia and the CREA.
- The results of a PubMed review support the development of promising nutritional strategies involving tomatoes and tomato products in the effort to tackle cardiovascular disease through antiplatelet aggregation.
- In Spain, harvest in Extremadura is expected to start on 25 July (one week earlier than last year).
- AMITOM & WPTC Crop update as of 28 June 2019
You can find the individual articles in the NEWS list and/or search by keyword, date etc.