Respect for your privacy is our priority

The cookie is a small information file stored in your browser each time you visit our web page.

Cookies are useful because they record the history of your activity on our web page. Thus, when you return to the page, it identifies you and configures its content based on your browsing habits, your identity and your preferences.

You may accept cookies or refuse, block or delete cookies, at your convenience. To do this, you can choose from one of the options available on this window or even and if necessary, by configuring your browser.

If you refuse cookies, we can not guarantee the proper functioning of the various features of our web page.

For more information, please read the COOKIES INFORMATION section on our web page.


News

CTAEX: lower salt content and better nutritional quality

16/07/2018 - Press release , François-Xavier Branthôme - Lire en français
Results presented during the 15th ISHS Symposium (Greece, June 2018)

Reduced consumption of salt is associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases and is one of the most viable and cost-effective measures for improving public health on a global scale. Considerable research has been undertaken in the search for a viable alternative to common salt in the diet, without compromising organoleptic qualities. 

A team of researchers at the CTAEX (Technological Agro-Food Center of Extremadura) has been working on reducing the salt content in a number of tomato products by introducing salt water into the recipe, which improves the nutritional quality of the final product. Sea water is one potential alternative, as, in comparison to common salt which is 100% sodium chloride, seawater contains only 86% of the substance, with the remaining 14% made up of a comprehensive and balanced range of minerals and trace elements. For this reason, a range of new tomato products have been developed, which deliver reduced sodium levels and higher nutritional quality. 
 
The R&D head of CTAEX, María José Riballo, explains that this research has enabled a 33% decrease of the sodium chloride content of traditional tomato frito sauce. The project used products made by the Tomalia Company, and has been carried out over the past two years, but should end next September. After that date and following the results of market surveys, Tomalia may launch the product on the market.

Adding seawater, which is brought in from the Mediterranean to Extremadura by an Alicante company, involves a fairly simple process, according to María José Riballo. Several different tests have helped determine the required concentration and exact proportions of seawater and salt, while demonstrating that no pretreatment is required for this adjustment. Although the cost linked to adding seawater is slightly higher than that of ordinary water, the extra cost remains negligible for this economical tomato product.

 
In addition, this new approach presents advantages for human health, in so far as the sodium chloride of common salt is generally used in higher concentrations than those proposed by the CTAEX project, and is a common cause of high blood pressure. Furthermore, seawater provides a number of minerals and trace elements that are potentially beneficial for human health.

Source: finanzas.com

Complementary data:

 
Paper WPTC 2018. Reduction of salt in tomato products through the use of seawater final
Related companies

CTAEX

Research organisation See details
Back

________________________________________

Editor : TOMATO NEWS SAS -  MAISON DE L'AGRICULTURE - TSA 48449 - 84912 AVIGNON Cedex 9 - FRANCE
contact@tomatonews.com
www.tomatonews.com

 

 

Supporting partners
Featured company
The Morning Star Packing Company
Most popular news
Featured event
The Tomato News Online Conference - 17 November 2020
Our supporting partners